Tuesday, December 15, 2009

End of Semester Reflection

At the beginning of the semester, I wrote that technology should play a significant role in the elementary classroom. My view on that has definitely not changed. If anything, it has intensified. I had no idea ow many different ways and resources were available to integrate technology into the classroom. There are the obvious ones, such as interactive whiteboards, computers and such that I will definitely use. There are also technologies such as podcasts, wikis, blogs, video cameras, and all of the Web 2.0 tools that are available. I didn't even think of using theses types of resources in an elementary classroom before taking this class. Now I have many ideas on how to incorporate these into my class and I can't wait until I have my own classroom to do just that!
I also wrote at the beginning of the semester that one of my goals is to keep up with new technologies and model correct usage for students. At first, I thought this would be very difficult. After taking this class, I realize that while it may be somewhat time consuming, it is not too hard and is actually very fun! I had so much fun learning about new technologies this semester and I want to keep on learning in the years to come. I especially loved learning about the SMART Board. I have realized even more how valuable a resource it is in the classroom. It makes integrating technologies more seamless. Not only do students love it, but it is very effective.

NETS
The NETS-T that I was focusing on this semester was 3.a.: "Demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations." I feel so much more fluent in using technology in the classroom after taking this class. First of all, I had never seen a SMART Board before this semester. Now, I love using it and I have successfully used it for lessons in two of my other classes here at NU. The school where I will be student teaching next semester has ActivBoards and I am excited to be able to use that as well. Now that I know how to use the SMART Board, I will be able to transfer my knowledge to the use of the ActivBoard. I also did not know about many of the free tools that are available on the internet. Now that I do know about them and know how to use them fairly fluently, I want to incorporate them into my teaching. One of the things I really want to do in the 2nd grade class is use podcasting. I think the students will love this and I am fluent enough to be able to use it in my teaching.
The other NETS-T , 2.a., that I was working on this semester also fits into this: "Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity." I think technology is a great way to make learning relevant for students. This is especially true for the students that I will be teaching because they are all digital natives. Besides using the interactive whiteboard, I want to incorporate podcasting, wikis, power points, and videos into my teaching. I think this motivates students more because they feel that it is relevant and that their audience is "real." One of the things I really want to do is buy a Flip and use it in my teaching. I want to be able to videotape the students at the beginning and end of the year to show them their progress. I also want to videotape students doing certain assignments. Not only is this a unique way of assessing them, but it makes the experience relevant and fun for the students. I can't wait to have my own classroom and use technology as much as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment